Friday, May 18, 2007

East Side Gallery, KaDeWe

Today was really chill. I spent the morning cleaning Ute's house and doing laundry. In the afternoon I went to the East Side Gallery, the largest remaining portion of the Berlin Wall. It was slightly disappointing, because all the original art has long since been defaced out of existence, and many of the restorations are going to. It's not at all like you see in the pictures, but it was still interesting because of it's historical significance.




After the Wall, I successfully found KaDeWe. Wow oh wow oh wow. Think shopping mall squared plus European flair times seven floors. I spent several hours on the Gourmet Floor, sampling chocolate, tasting wine, and enjoying the sights and smells. There is a shop for every possible food item: fish, pork and beef, fruit and vegetables, cheese, pasta, chocolate, wine, olives, peppers, tea and coffee, and even ketchup and salad dressing. The best part is that at most of the shops you can have something cooked fresh right there. The smell was absolutely astoundingly amazing. I had traditional German food for dinner. I don't know what I ordered, I just asked the lady what her favorite dinner was and she brought me this:

It was really really good, but very salty. I spent another few Euro on a "Chocolate Coffee": an espresso stirred into a melted chocolate bar and served with a tiny but extremely strong chocolate square. It was delicious.

No comments: