Friday, June 15, 2007

A Day with Saskia, an evening in Köln, and the Nachtzug to Praha!

Wednesday night I met up with Saskia in Aachen. We had fresh pasta for dinner and then watched her uncle perform a terrific two-man comedy at a small local theater. It was tricky to understand German acting, but I think I got about half the jokes.


I spent the night at Saskia's house and had salmon and tomato omelets for breakfast. Yum! We went back to Aachen and visited the Lindt chocolate factory, where I bought an entire kilogram of high-quality German chocolate for 3.50 Euro!! After that, we bummed around cafes and bakeries downtown, dodging rain showers until about 2:00 when I took the train to Köln (Cologne). I had problems buying my ticket because my bank locked down my credit card after my trip to Paris. (I'd only told them I'd be using the card in Germany). Saskia was awesome and bought the ticket for me and lent me 100 Euro for the trip. What a sweetheart!

Köln is lovely! The cathedral is astoundingly huge and I climbed all the way to the top. I tried to visit the Chocolate Museum, but they closed just as I walked in the door. Choco-Nazis. Instead, I went to a concert with the Köln Philharmonic Orchestra that was broadcast live over WDR (German national radio station). Very nice!

I think I've finally figured out how to photograph stained glass.



The night train was uncomfortable, but now I'm in Prague! More later!

1 comment:

Lisa - Women's Studies said...

I went to the chocolate museum right when it closed too! haha How ironic. :-)