Monday, June 11, 2007

More memories from Paris

Last night I remembered a few more little things from Paris.

The first thing Jonathan and I did was visit a small cafe that looked like something straight from the 1920s. (Jonathan said he sometimes sees movies being filmed there). There was a notice in the window, which Jonathan translated thus: (please imagine a sexy French accent)
"Ah! Someone's cat is missing. It is a small cat. It's name is Lu-Lu, and it is the sort of cat you can hold to your face and snuggle with your nose. It has white fur."
Later, when our beer was served....
"My boss always says 'American beer is like the piss of a cat' .... but of course, he wasn't talking about a cat like Lu-Lu. This is a mean American cat that pisses on your shoes. Not a white cat like Lu-Lu."
I also remembered the name of one of the Italian painters I particularly liked: Giuseppe Arcimboldo. He did these really creative portraits composed of natural objects. This series was my favorite:

















I also liked Pompeo Batoni.


Here's a picture of the Thalys high-speed train I took from Paris to Aachen.


My birthday cake! A "Bombe Chocolate", the richest chocolate cake I have ever tasted. I don't know what it was exactly, but it tasted like dark Lindt chocolate mixed in rich chocolate pudding, spread over a bed of milk chocolate on a piece of dense vanilla pound cake, and dusted with coca powder. De-lish-us!

No comments: